Saturday, September 10, 2005

Lost in the Southland(Orange County, California, 1999)

(At St. Regis Resort while visiting Dana Point, Orange Co., California in 2005)


I am lost here
In the vastness of the southland.

The unfamiliar groves
Have long been buried for decades
The lonesome few that stood still
Are but memorials of what has been
The expected citrus scent
Is conspicuous by its absence
Nowhere to ease me thru
My crisscrossing mazes
An unstudied insouciance
Plods along these endless
Meandering freeways and byways
I have charted my routes
By the ancient stars in the heavens
But I am lost, I am lost, I am lost.

I have ran thru the sands of Venice Beach
Scaled six thousand feet up Lake Arrowhead
Broke bread with friends and foes
In Malibu, Redondo, La Mirada
Paddled my way thru Lake Casitas
Made love in the valleys of Ventura
Cut trails thru the hills of Pomona and the Sierras
Rolled the buggies in the desert of Palm Springs
Touched the deadly blades of the Cabazon windmills
Still, I am lost, I am lost, I am lost.

Tonight, I will rechart the course of this nomad heart
Perhaps set sail on the sleeping deep blue Pacific
Gaze up again at the map of my stars
And hope to finally find my way to find...me.

No comments: